Vintage Americana DIY Wedding Bouquet
Why not let patriotic passion and 1900s romance inspire your wedding day! Envision your ceremony at a historic site or a rustic barn reception. Dream about courtship in early America where letters from your true love were the closest you could get until being pronounced man and wife. Choose an antique engagement ring or a vintage gown and savor the “olden days” as well as add an eco-friendly element to your red, white and blue celebration.
- Floral wire and/or rubber bands
- Wire Cutters
- Floral Shears
- Floral Tape
- Canvas Ribbon
- Love Letter Decorative Tape
How to Make:
Step 1: Prepare the Flowers
- Strip away any lower leaves from the carnation stems and set aside.
- Prepare the delphinium arch. Cut two pieces of fine gauge floral wire to a length of 6 inches. Attach one cut piece of floral wire to extend the length of the cut stem. Attach the other floral wire piece to the top of the stalk just beneath the top bloom and create a wire extension out of the top.
- The wire extending from each the stem and out of the top will become “handles” to arch the spray over the top of the bouquet. Set aside.
Step 2: Form the Bouquet
- Place the carnations together one at a time to form the round, bulbous shape of the bouquet.
- When you are happy with the shape secure the carnation stems with floral wire or tape.
- Take the cut stem “handle” of the delphinium arch and place into the outer perimeter of the carnation bouquet.
- Then gently bend the delphinium stem over the carnation ball and into an arch.
- Secure it by inserting the other “handle” or wire pick extension into the opposite side of the carnation bouquet.
- Adjust the stems until you are happy with the look and the spray of delphinium creating the arch.
- Secure the stem handle by wrapping all stems together with floral wire or a rubber band.
Step 3: Wrapping the bouquet handle
- Use floral shears to cut all flower stems to the same length.
- Wrap the canvas ribbon from the top of the bouquet handle all the way down the handle to cover the wire.
- Cut the canvas ribbon and secure with a DIY floral pin.
- Use love letter tape to decorate the handle.
This gorgeous color combo testifies to your devotion and the unique design suits the true blue bride whose own nostalgic, wedding day will go down in history.
Bouquet Photo Credit: RDV Photo