Flower Spotlight: Graceful Gladiolus
Incorporate height and elegance to your floral arrangement with gladiolus! A line flower, such as gladiolas, have multiple trumpet-shaped blooms per stem. On average, gladiolas has about 10 to 12 blooms running the length of the stem. These long-stemmed flowers are used to create the structural framework of a design and are typically the focal area. Gladiolas can add height, balance, and color too! We offer gladiolus in an array of colors including purple, orange, white, red, green, and shades of pink.
Though the standard variety of gladiolus is very impressionable, we offer a premium variety, which has on average of stem length of 36 inches. And we also have super premium gladiolas, and they have an average of stem length of 42 inches. If you're interested in ordering these flowers then keep in mind they're a seasonal product on our page, available May-December. You can expect these eye-catching flowers to last about 6 days with proper care (see care instructions below).
As far as design uses there is plenty you could do with these tall vases! For an elegant and timeless look, place the gladiolas in a tall glass vase and adding your choice of decorative rocks to secure the flowers. When picking out a container, ensure it is about one-third the length of the stem so that it does not tip over. You could also create submerged centerpieces and finish the look with floating candles. Gladiolas are commonly used in ceremony arrangements, but you can use them where ever you'd like to fit your style! Check out a few ways these brides used gladiolas in their arrangements.
Flower Care Instructions:
Gladiolus flowers need some time to bloom open, so we recommend receiving these flowers 4 days before your event. To care for your Gladiolus, follow these steps…
- When your boxes arrive, it is important that you get your flowers in water as quickly as possible. Open your boxes and remove any protective packaging, such as foam or paper.
- Inspect your flowers.*
- Gather buckets or containers to hold the flowers. Ensure your buckets or containers are very clean. We recommend rinsing them with warm water.
- Fill the containers with at least 4 inches of fresh, cold water. If flower food is available, follow the package directions for adding it to the water.
- Cut any straps and remove flowers from the box. Remove any rubber bands or plastic sleeves securing flower bunches together.
- Remove any foliage that would fall below the waterline. Leaves below the waterline may cause bacteria to form, shortening the life of your flowers.
- Using sharp flower shears or scissors, cut stems diagonally under cool, running water. Cut about an inch off of each stem.
- Immediately after cutting the stem, place the flower in the prepared water.
- Ensure that you have sufficient room in each bucket for the amount of stems you will be storing. Do not overcrowd your containers. Overcrowding may damage stems and blooms and effect the blooming process.
- Allow flowers at least 4 hours to hydrate, flowers may take up to 12 hours to properly hydrate. Periodically check the water levels, flowers drink a lot of water when they first arrive and the water may need to be refilled.
- Keep flowers away from direct sunlight, drafts or extreme temperatures. Flowers should be stored in a cool, dry area until ready to use.
- Change water every 24 hours to keep flowers fresh.
*If upon first inspection, you foresee a problem with your flowers, do not proceed to process your order. Leave the flowers intact in the box and call us immediately at 1-877-50 ROSES (507-6737)
Quick tip: when you remove the lower flowers as they begin to fade, that will promote the upper buds!
Gladiolus flowers stand as a testament to elegance, grace, and timeless beauty. With their storied past, symbolic meanings, and striking presence, gladiolus offer an exquisite addition to any flower garden or floral arrangement. Whether you're seeking to convey strength, honor a loved one's memory, or simply create a visually captivating display, gladiolus are a versatile choice that captures attention and leaves a lasting impression. So, embrace the splendor of gladiolus and allow these majestic blooms to add a touch of grandeur and beauty to your life's special moments.
At FiftyFlowers, we offer a wide selection of wholesale flowers, DIY flower combos, and Ready to Go Arrangements for your wedding, bridal shower, and everything in between. Our flowers ship FREE, directly from the farms to your arms, guaranteeing the best price and freshest quality. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for inspiration, tips, and trends.