With spring in full force, we decided to highlight one of April's birth month flowers, sweet peas! Sweet peas are known for their sweet fragrance and their ruffled look. These multi-florals come with about 3 to 5 blooms per stem. Keep in mind, the lowest bloom will always be the first to open, so they will be the first to fade too, but the upper blooms will start to open up by then.
Sometimes the sweet pea tendrils (thin curly stems used for climbing) can cause some difficulties when working with them since they tend to latch onto each other. Untangling can be a task, but don't let this discourage you from incorporating them into your design. If you're having a spring or early summer wedding then you're in luck. This springtime flower is currently available until November, though sometimes it can be available early winter (depended on Mother Nature).
Sweet peas range in colors from pastel pink to bright yellow. You can find our full selection here! They're mostly used in garden-style bouquets and centerpieces. Depending on the variety and season, sweet peas pricing can range from moderate to high. Other than standard sweet peas, we offer a Japanese variety too, which is absolutely gorgeous but the cost is a lot higher.
These springtime flowers can last up to 5 days with proper care, but keep in mind these are susceptible to wilting in the heat. It's really important to keep the arrangement well hydrated, and out of direct sunlight until you're ready to say, "I do!"
Sweet peas are gorgeous on their own but pair seamlessly with other spring flowers like peonies, garden roses and tulips. Check out some of the sweet pea inspiration I've gathered below along with step-by-step care instructions.Sources: Sorbet-inspired bouquet, bride with a pastel bouquet, Sweet pea with ranunculus centerpiece, Orange and pink bridal bouquet, Lavender sweet pea bouquet, white and orange sweet pea bouquet and tablescape.
Flower Care Instructions:
Our flowers are shipped directly from our farms to your doorstep. Before shipping your flowers, we prepare them for their journey with proper hydration methods. If your flowers appear sleepy and thirsty after their journey it is absolutely NORMAL. Follow these simple steps to ensure your flowers have the proper care.
*Wild sweet peas are known for their poisonous seeds. Do not use this flower in food or beverage decorations*
- When your boxes arrive, it is important that you get your flowers in water as quickly as possible. Open your boxes and remove any protective packaging, such as foam or paper.
- Inspect your flowers.*
- Gather buckets or containers to hold the flowers. Ensure your buckets or containers are very clean. We recommend rinsing them with warm water.
- Fill the containers with at least 4 inches of fresh, cold water. If flower food is available, follow the package directions for adding it to the water.
- Cut any straps and remove flowers from the box. Remove any rubber bands or plastic sleeves securing flower bunches together.
- Remove any foliage that would fall below the waterline. Leaves below the waterline may cause bacteria to form, shortening the life of your flowers.
- Using sharp flower shears or scissors, cut stems diagonally under cool, running water. Cut about an inch off of each stem.
- Immediately after cutting the stem, place the flower in the prepared water.
- Ensure that you have sufficient room in each bucket for the amount of stems you will be storing. Do not overcrowd your containers. Overcrowding may damage stems and blooms and effect the blooming process.
- Allow flowers at least 4 hours to hydrate, flowers may take up to 12 hours to properly hydrate. Periodically check the water levels, flowers drink a lot of water when they first arrive and the water may need to be refilled.
- Keep flowers away from direct sunlight, drafts or extreme temperatures. Flowers should be stored in a cool, dry area until ready to use.
- Change water every 24 hours to keep flowers fresh.
*If upon first inspection, you foresee a problem with your flowers, do not proceed to process your order. Leave the flowers intact in the box and call us immediately at 1-877-50 ROSES (507-6737)
Sweet peas embody the essence of delicate beauty and whimsical charm. From their captivating fragrance to their vibrant colors, these enchanting blooms bring joy and elegance to any garden or floral arrangement. Whether you're seeking to create a fragrant bouquet, infuse your home with delightful scents, or celebrate a special occasion with floral beauty, sweet peas are a delightful choice that will captivate your heart and senses.